Prosecutors seek 5
简介The prosecution on Friday demanded five years in prison for Samsung Electronics Chairman Lee Jae-yon ...
The prosecution on Friday demanded five years in prison for Samsung Electronics Chairman Lee Jae-yong on charges of stock price rigging and accounting fraud connected to the controversial 2015 merger of two Samsung affiliates.
Prosecutors also requested a fine of 500 million won ($387,000) for Lee during the final hearing at the Seoul Central District Court.
Lee is charged with stock price rigging, breach of duty and accounting fraud in the course of the controversial 2015 merger of two Samsung affiliates, Cheil Industries and Samsung C&T Corp. The trial began in September 2020.
For seeking the prison term, the prosecution cited how Lee denied all charges leveled against him when he was the chief decision-maker, and how benefited from the process.
The prosecution argues that Lee and company executives planned and executed a series of illegal steps in the process of merging the group's construction and fashion companies. The prosecutors allege the illegal processes allowed Lee to increase his control over the conglomerate.
Two senior Samsung executives, including Choi Gee-sung, a former head of Samsung's now-disbanded control tower Future Strategy Office, have also been charged. Prosecutors have asked them to be given prison sentences of 4 1/2 years and a 500 million won fine for related charges.
A ruling is expected in early 2024 at the earliest.
KT SAT, Korea's sole satellite service provider, announced Wednesday its plan to enhance its ma ...
Apple’s latest flagship smartphone series will likely launch in South Korea next month, according to ...
Mudeungsan Mountain located in Gwangju, South Jeolla Province, fully opened its door to the public f ...
- Music industry seeks solution to ticket scalping through public discussion
- [Photo News] Mudeungsan fully opens door to public after 57 years
- S. Korea, US conduct underwater search operation for downed jet, Korean War remains
- 2m Koreans opt out of life
- Labor unions slam government efforts to attract more foreign workers
- Outpaced by Coupang, Shinsegae carries out major leadership reshuffle
S. Korea's English proficiency slips 13 notches to 49th
Seoul shares close lower amid woes over Fed's drawn
US finalizes national security 'guardrails' for CHIPS funding
[Photo News] Mudeungsan fully opens door to public after 57 years
Samsung Biologics sees highest
Xi says he will consider S. Korea visit
- Seoul shares end lower amid conflict in Middle East
- [Korean History] 2002, when Korea soared through World Cup
- 'No Japan?' Korea swings from extreme rejection to selective embrace
- Big firms' debt
- Performing Arts Market to link local artists to world
- For esports fans, more activities await beyond LoL matches
- [Herald Interview] Singer
- Human rights commission urges Korea to abolish death penalty
- 'Frasier' returns to TV but you don't need to be a superfan of the original to laugh at its jokes
- Uncertainties remain for Samsung, SK after US eases export controls
- LG Twins crowned champions for 1st time since 1994 as S. Korean baseball season ends
- 46 countries, including S. Korea, US, join declaration on 'responsible' AI use
- Facing bedbug crisis, Koreans create online dashboards to track them
- Korea, Japan airport operators hold first post
- KBS determined to regain public trust
- Seoul hosts ICC seminar highlighting role of Asia
- British interdisciplinary artist Jane Benson turns literary texts into art
- 文정부는 꺼려한 유엔사…참모부 '주도적 역할' 참여 추진
- KT&G unveils W2.8tr shareholder return plan
- SK On to furlough workers, cut production at US plant
- S. Korea, US defense chiefs discuss 'tailored deterrence strategy' on N. Korea
- After robot conductor, National Orchestra of Korea explores virtual reality
- 홍익표, 조국 총선 출마설에 “조만간 뵙고 말씀 들을 것”
- UNESCO HQ hit by largest
- Nara Space successfully launches cube satellite
- [Our Museums] Seek hidden tales of Korean masks at Hahoe Mask Museum
- Seoul mayor to consider street festivities for LG Twins' victory
- [Community Discovery] Blending old and new for sustainable Seongdong
- 19 S. Koreans held captive in Myanmar freed: ministry
- 감사원, 文정부 소상공인 지원 실태 감사 착수