Alternative nicotine products lead to reduction in smoking rates: report
简介Alternative nicotine products can have a "significant" impact on reducing smoking rates as demonstra ...
Alternative nicotine products can have a "significant" impact on reducing smoking rates as demonstrated by case studies in Japan and Sweden, a report showed Friday.
In a policy paper dubbed “Safer Nicotine Works,” Tholos Foundation said it has found that alternative nicotine products, ranging from snus, nicotine pouches and gum to vapes and tobacco heating products, help people quit smoking cigarettes.
Japan saw smoking rates, those that smoked cigarettes daily, decline from 19.8 percent to 17.8 percent in just two years between 2017 and 2019 after tobacco heating products were introduced to the market in 2016, the report said. The rate had dropped less than 2 percent over a 14-year period from 2003.
In 2020, the number of male smokers plummeted to below 30 percent for the first time in history. THPs’ launch there also led to a 32 percent drop in cigarette sales in the five years to 2021.
Sweden attributed its decline in smoking rates to snus -- small pouches like tea bags that stick between the upper lip and gum -- and nicotine pouches, as well as taxation on tobacco products. Sweden is the only member state of the European Union that permits the sales of snus.
Close to winning the title of the world’s first “smoke-free” country, Sweden recorded a smoking rate of 5.6 percent in 2022, the lowest in Europe. The rate of those that smoked daily halved from 11.4 percent in a decade.
The research concludes that the alternative nicotine products can be a realistic, less harmful solution to reducing smoking rates.
The foundation issued the paper jointly with Japan-based Pacific Alliance Institute and Sweden’s Scantech Strategy Advisors.
Separately, South Korea’s smoking rate is steadily declining alongside a growing THP market.
THPs, which first entered the Korean market in 2017, took up about 27.8 percent of the nation’s tobacco market this year, according to the Korea Health Promotion Institute’s National Tobacco Control Center.
KT&G’s lil, Philip Morris’ Iqos and BAT Rothmans’ Glo are some of the THPs sold in Korea.
A 66-year-old taxi driver whose passenger jumped out of his moving taxi and was then killed after be ...
13일 김정은 북한 국무위원장과 블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령의 회담에 대해 14일 북한 매체들은 “(단독 정상회담에서)만족한 합의와 견해 일치를 봤다”고 보도했다. 김정은이 푸틴 ...
이재명 더불어민주당 대표의 1년간에 걸친 ‘방탄 공성전(攻城戰)’은 결국 내부에서 무너졌다.국회는 21일 본회의에서 이 대표 체포동의안을 무기명 표결에 부쳐 찬성 149표, 반대 ...
- N. Korea threatens to strike US aircraft carrier
- Gyeongbokgung entrance platform, new signboard unveiled
- S. Korea joins ICRC's major donor group for 1st time
- SK Ecoplant recycles over 6,000 tons of batteries
- Japan thanks S. Korea for Israel rescue effort
- [Coffee Klatch] Take a sip of Turkish coffee in Seoul
- [New in Korean] Witches, ecofeminism, climate crisis: Tale of resilience and nature’s power
- Doosan Robotics to supply chicken
- Try on traditional Korean costume during Hanbok Culture Week
- [KH Explains] Amazon's cloud industry plans raise fears of Korean market monopoly
- Unique indoor dating spots to warm your winter days
- NTCK to celebrate 100th Seoul performance of ‘The Orphan of Zhao’
- [From the scene] Nakwon
- Fifty Fifty's Keena marks group's 1st anniversary with apology
- Golf club's 'no Japanese car' policy sparks controversy
- 이낙연 "전우 시체 위에서 응원가 못 부른다"…총선 유세 거절?
- [Herald Interview] Latvia hopes to boost economic, cultural ties with Korea
- Baekyangsa's Buddhist cuisine templestay teaches what it means to eat beyond taste
- Will Suneung without ‘killer questions’ reduce reliance on private education?
- [Photo News] INDIAN CINEMA
- NCSoft to tear loose from Lineage: CEO
- Zepeto metaverse plans to support Apple Vision Pro
- S. Korea's top diplomat holds talks with Malaysian, Indonesian counterparts at APEC
- Seoul Philharmonic's new music director van Zweden to focus on Mahler, collaborations
- US renews concerns over N. Korea
- Gov't administrative network down for 2nd day; recovery efforts under way
- [Herald Review] NCT 127 takes inspiration from ‘Matrix’ for 3rd tour
- [Today’s K
- Trump vows to kill Asia trade deal being pursued by Biden if elected